Thursday




Those steps up top are called a "stile," which is defined thusly:

1. a series of steps or rungs by means of which a person may pass over a wall or fence that remains a barrier to sheep or cattle.
2. a turnstile.

Also, a) they vary in their complexity and challenge, b) they are ubiquitous along the southern AT, and c) they are a lot more fun than they were meant to be. After you cross this one you walk a little further along that cute path and then back into the woods. The bottom photo (of Sketch) reminds me of one of my chief frustrations of the Trail, one that's so silly as to be embarrassing: especially in the morning as I was just starting my walk for the day, I would get sooo mad when I had to hike through overhanging brush because invariably it would be wet with dew and it would soak my legs and shorts. Utterly absurd, I know, but it's true.